Happy Marijuana Day.
After spending a majority of my adolescence in Colorado, having plenty of friends from the state of Washington and now living in Southern California, I am classically conditioned to the idea of “4/20” annually.
I do not smoke weed recreationally. It’s a cliche statement but I just don’t really enjoy it. Personal choice?
I am also not one of those close-minded people who are going to berate the grass smokers who do it. The only entertaining person on the planet that can get away with bashing burners is First Take host Stephen A. Smith.
That is easily one of the most hilarious running-bits ESPN has to offer, thank you Mr. Smith.
I know plenty of people, some professional athletes and an Instagram model that uses it for medicinal purposes and doesn’t abuse it.
I also attended a large university where I witnessed cross-joints, six-foot bongs, and cannabis-infused Hot Cheetos where people abused it.
So there’s that.
I do know this for sure. Once the process of ripping through three blunts is over, every toker is going to scarf down any source of food insight and is going to sit down and watch a funny, stupid comedy.
Not quite an Oscar Award nominee like Your Highness (2011) with Danny McBride but anything else!
I compiled a Mount Rushmore of my funniest 4/20 comedies. Enjoy!
4) Fast Times At Ridgemont High (1982). Jeff Spicoli. Enough said. Sean Penn portrayed the perfect mix of the SoCal surfer and airhead in one.
3) Half Baked (1998). Dave Chappelle’s narrated flick capped off the 90’s decade strong by delivering Thurgood Jenkins to the big-screen and sparking a run of stoner comedies for the next 15 years.
2) Friday (1995): This is an American classic. Ice Cube and Chris Tucker’s on-screen chemistry is reminiscent of Steph Curry and Klay Thompson on the court. Craig (Ice Cube) is a prisoner of peer pressure and lights up the devil’s lettuce for the first time. It is a shame “Smokey” wasn’t cast in the next two films in the trilogy. Still love Mike Epps though!
1)Pineapple Express (2008): The undisputed favorite here. One of Seth Rogen’s classics. Non-stop laughs following the adventures of Dale Denton and Saul Silver (James Franco). Some of Hollywood’s favorite potheads delivers a cannabis comedy unlike any other.
Just Missed The Cut:
- Ricky Williams Love For Weed & Blatant Disregard Towards The NFL (1999-2011)
- Harold & Kumar Go To White Castle (2004)
- Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back (2001)
- Ted (2012)
- Knocked Up (2007)
- We’re The Miller’s (2013)
- This Is The End (2013)